Get the grid paper out!
Nothing really solidifies a “plan” more than writing it down on paper! I started my plan by first making a list of “must haves” and “wants” for my property and future home build. Once I was able to put that on paper (or in my case on a google doc, yes my handwriting is awful and I wanted to be able to go back and read it!) I could then narrow down what was going to work for me and my build.
My mountain home/property must haves
- 1 to 2 acres-Gilpin County minimum 2 acres if I want to have a separate ancillary unit like guest house/Airbnb or garage unattached to main house
- South/east/west facing – no north facing
- Least sloping land
- Minimum 2 bedrooms-option to add separate container as guest house/Airbnb
- Around 1000 sq ft – I’m ready to live a more minimalist lifestyle
- Easy to maintain, keep cool and heat
- Excellent use of every space
- Close to main roads that are well maintained during winter
- 1 hour radius to Boulder-preferably Gilpin or Jeffco
- Lots of windows/natural light/skylights?
- Master bedroom big enough for king size bed current size 7×7
- Radiant floor heat – need to decide which type I want to use
- Gilpin county requires minimum 90lb roof load and 130mph wind speed minimums
- Passive Solar
- Metal roof
- Pellet stove
My Wish list
- Short driveway
- Large wrap around porch/deck-enough room for hot tub too
- 2 car garage/carport
- Mud room
- Shipping Container home (conex reinforced steel one trip like new)
- Glass garage doors/windows in main living space
- Barn doors or pocket doors to save space
- Indoor/outdoor fireplace-wood burning
- Center courtyard or large outdoor living space
- Pantry near kitchen
- Electric fireplace in bedroom?
- En suite for master bedroom
- Dual masters or similar set up
- Walk in/thru closet
- Build back end and 2 sides into mountain for better insulation? More passive solar
- Tankless water heater
- High ceiling/roof in center area
- Rain water collection
- Wind turbine power
- Main house raised on pillars for better views?
One of the resources I used to plan and design my container home build was this book, I highly recommend reading this as you start designing your plan too!
What are some of your must have’s and wants? Comment below.